Root OnePlus 6 and Install TWRP Custom Recovery
Root & Install Custom Recovery One Plus 6: One Plus 6 is the latest release in the One Plus series of Phones. With a design quite similar to the iPhone X, the One Plus 6 is poised to take over the smartphone market. We made this post, for advanced Android users, to share the process of rooting and installing custom recovery on One Plus 6.
Method 1: Root and Install TWRP Custom Recovery on OnePlus 6
Before you start the process of rooting your OnePlus 6 phone, please make sure that you have met the following requirements:
- ADB & Fastboot Driver must be installed on PC/Laptop.
- Please enable USB Debugging & OEM Unlock for OnePlus 6.
- Take a complete backup of all important data before proceeding.
- Your OnePlus 6 bootloader should be unlocked.
- Your device’s battery level must be at least 70% to prevent accidental blackouts.
Once, you are ready with the requirements of the procedure let’s start to root OnePlus 6.
Install TWRP Custom Recovery & Root OnePlus 6
- Reiterating the point that your OnePlus 6 Bootloader must be in an unlocked state before you can start rooting.
- Please download the OnePlus 6 ZIP file from the link provided. This ZIP file will contain all the important files you will need to achieve positive root status.
- After the ZIP file is downloaded, please extract its contents and you will see the following files.
- Make a connection between OnePlus 6 and PC via USB cable. You will need to move these files to the root directory of the OnePlus 6 internal storage. Please note that you will need op6-twrp.img on the PC and therefore, do not need to transfer it to the smartphone.
- Next, you need to open a command prompt in the folder where you saved op6-twrp.img, please right-click it and select the Open Command Window Here option from the pop-up menu that appears.
Or you can type cmd in the address bar and press the Enter key.
- Please enter the following command in the window to reboot OnePlus 6 into Bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- You may receive a pop-up asking for confirmation to allow USB Debugging. Just tap on OK and you’re done.
- Next, you need to install TWRP Custom Recovery on both OnePlus 6 boot slots. Please rename the file op6-twrp.img to twrp.img and run the following two commands in the command prompt:
fastboot flash boot_a twrp.img
fastboot flash boot_b twrp.img
- After successful installation, reboot the device into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power button simultaneously.
- If you use any PIN or password for the device then you will be asked to enter it to reach TWRP Custom Recovery.
- You will notice that the language is Chinese by default for TWRP. To change it to English please follow the one mentioned below
- Press and hold Volume UP + Power button to make OnePlus 6 enter Fastboot mode.
- Using the volume buttons navigate to the Recovery Mode option and select it using the power button.
- If you are asked to enter a password or PIN, do so. On the next screen navigate to Settings and click on the Globe icon and select English. You have successfully changed the TWRP language.
- The main TWRP menu will appear in English now. From the file you transferred to the phone, please install op6-boot.img using the ‘install’ option present in TWRP.
- Once this is done, please proceed with the installation of the TWRP Working Installer ZIP file as well as the Blue-Fix Zip file.
- Now we will root the OnePlus 6. For that open the TWRP menu again and select the ‘Install’ option Navigate to the location where the file was extracted at the beginning and select the op6-Root.zip file. We run Magisk in this file. Swipe to confirm flash.
- Wait for a few minutes. Once the process is complete the device will automatically reboot or you can do it yourself.
- Now you have successfully rooted your OnePlus 6 phone.
Method 2: Root OnePlus 6 without Custom Recovery [MAGISK]
- Make sure you back up all valuable data before proceeding to root the OnePlus 6 as when you are about to unlock the bootloader of the device, everything will be lost.
- You also need to make sure that you are using the latest Oxygen OS.
- As a first step, please head to Settings-> About Phone. At the very bottom, you will be able to find the option ‘Build Number.’ Tap 7 times to enable ‘Developer Options’. You will be asked for a PIN and enter an entry, then a notification ‘You are a Developer Now’ will appear.
- Now, navigate back to Settings -> Developer Options. Under Developer Options, enable OEM Unlocking, USB Debugging and Advanced Rebooting.
- Once you are done with this, please reboot OnePlus 6 into bootloader mode and connect it to PC/Laptop via USB Cable.
- After successfully establishing connection with PC/Computer, open Command Prompt on PC and enter the following command to check if OnePlus 6 device is detected successfully via Fastboot.
- Please note that for this command to work, you need to install Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC/Computer.
- After the above command, please enter the following command to unlock the bootloader of the OnePlus 6 device.
fastboot oem unlock
- Once you press ‘Enter’ entering the command provided above, you will see a screen on the phone with the option ‘Unlock the Bootloader’. You need to use Volume Keys to highlight and press the power button to select the required option.
- The phone will reboot now and you may need to select the initial settings for the device as everything will be erased. Avoid setting any kind of security settings like Face Detection, PIN or fingerprint for now.
- When the device is ready, please go to Settings -> About Phone and tap again on Build Number about 7 times to activate Developer Options.
- Navigate to Settings -> Developer Options and you will find OEM Unlocking to be enabled by default. Please switch on USB Debugging and Advanced Reboot.
- Again, reboot the device into bootloader mode and if your device is not connected to PC, please connect via USB.
- From a PC, please navigate to the link provided. Once the webpage has loaded, scroll down and you will find a link to download the patched boot.img for OnePlus 6. Please note that this file will always be updated to the current Oxygen OS version, so make sure you are running the latest Oxygen OS before downloading the boot.img file.
- Make sure the file download is successful, navigate to the download folder and press Shift + Right Click. From the pop-up menu, select the ‘Open Command Window Here’ option. Also, you can type CMD in the address bar of the folder and press ‘Enter’ to open the Command Window.
- Again enter the following command to make sure that the phone is detected by Fastboot.
- Next, enter the command given below. You will find the name of the img file which will be fetched automatically and the command will look like this:
fastboot boot patched_boot_magisk1642.img
- Press Enter and the OnePlus 6 will boot using the patched boot image file.
- Now, go back to the computer and from the same link provided here download the Magisk Manager application. Once downloaded, move it to the phone’s internal storage.
- Now open the File Manager app on OnePlus 6 and install Magisk Manager on the device.
- Tap on the ‘Start Safety Net check’ option and press ‘Yes’ on the pop-up to download the proprietary code. The Safety Net check should be successful.
- Next, move to Magisk Manager Settings and select ‘Beta’ for the update channel option. Once this is done return to the main screen of the Magisk Manager Application and ensure that both options under Advanced Settings are checked.
- Tap on ‘Install’ and select the ‘Install’ option again from the pop-up window to install Magisk on OnePlus 6.
- Select Direct Method for installation and give permission to start the installation procedure. Now, wait until the installation process is complete. Once done, tap Reboot.
- After the phone has successfully rebooted, open Magisk Manager and do the Safety Net Check once again. It should work.
- Now just go to Play Store and download Root Checker app to check the root status of the device.
Thanks to B1CZU for this working Method and we will continue to update this article in the coming days with new working methods to root and flash custom recovery on OnePlus 6.
Install Custom ROM on OnePlus 6
- Please make your device back into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up + Power button combination. The TWRP menu will appear in front of you once your device has successfully entered recovery mode.
- Select Wipe and select Swipe to Factory Reset from the TWRP menu. However if the custom ROM you installed does not require a factory reset, then you can skip this step.
- Now tap on Install option and select custom ROM from its location, on One Plus 6 internal memory, and do Swipe to confirm flash.
- After successfully flashing the ROM, the ‘Wipe cache/dalvik’ option will appear in front of you. Press ‘Swipe to Wipe’.
- That’s all done. Just go back to the TWRP menu and select the Reboot System option.
So guys, this is the whole process for this task. If you have any confusion and have any questions, please leave a message in the comments section.