How To Install TWRP Recovery And Root Asus ZenFone 6
Video Tutorial How to Install Filmora 11
Unofficial TWRP recovery is now available for Asus ZenFone 6 (2019). In this guide, we will show you how to Install TWRP Recovery and root Asus Zenfone (ZS630KL) using Magisk.
Asus Zenfone 6 (ZSK630KL) was released in May 2019. Continuing with other OEM flagship devices, it has also opted for a bezel-less display at all. One of the main interesting features of this device includes a 48 megapixel flip camera and 5000mAh battery, something that is rarely found in a flagship device of this stature.
Another thing worth appreciating is the Micro-SD card support to further expand the storage capacity. With the features that are present it will bring this phone at a mid-range price.
If you belong to a group of users who regularly need to change and modify software, then there are some good things for you. Unofficial version of TWRP has been released for devices. So follow the guide below on how to install TWRP Recovery and Root Asus ZenFone 6 (ZS630KL).
TWRP Recovery and Root Asus ZenFone 6 (ZS630KL)
The Asus Zenfone 6 zS630KL is the latest addition to the Zenfone 6 series. While Asus has not always been known to be development-friendly, this idea has started to change with the launch of its latest devices. Within weeks of the launch, Asus has released a tool to unlock the bootloader as well as the kernel source code for these devices. It also started shipping devices to developers via XDA, TWRP, Lineage OS.
With such frequent developments, it is only a few days before people can hear about a custom recovery being released for this device. And a senior developer at XDA ( mauronofrio ) has managed to do just that. He has released an unofficial test version of TWRP Recovery for Asus Zenfone 6 (2019).
But because it is still in the testing phase, there are still some bugs that need to be fixed. For example, TWRP on Zenfone 6 does not support data encryption. So it can’t decrypt the storage (/data).
To access the internal storage need to get root access, you need to format the data partition. Until you do this, you will not be able to install TWRP installer zip file, Magisk installer zip or any other file for that matter from internal storage. With that in mind, follow the guide below to install TWRP and then Root Asus Zenfone 6 (ZS630KL).
- Once you have unlocked your device’s bootloader, you cannot return it to its original ‘locked’ state.
- Also, the device warranty will be lost.
- You are no longer entitled to receive official software updates from Asus.
- At any stage, CahDriod.com or any of its members will not be held responsible if the device crashes or is damaged. Continue only if you know what you are doing.
- Before starting the procedure, it is very important to make a backup of all data. Unlocking the bootloader will completely erase the data.
- Make sure device is charged at least 50% so that it doesn’t suddenly turn off during the process.
- You have to unlock Asus ZenFone 6 (ZS630KL) bootloader. Unlock via Version Unlock Tool. Download and transfer to device. Then install it and follow the on-screen instructions to unlock the bootloader.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on Asus Zenfone (2019). You can do this by going to Settings and tapping Build Number 7 times. Then under Developer options, enable both options mentioned above.
- Download and install ADB and Fastboot Tool to enter fastboot commands.
- Download USB Drivers for Asus ZenFone 6 (ZS630KL).
- Unofficial TWRP Recovery v3.3.1-1 for Asus ZenFone 6 (ZS630KL):
- Magisk Install zip file : Magisk v19.3.zip
Guide To Install TWRP Recovery And Root Asus Zenfone 6 (ZS630KL)
For your convenience and better understanding, we have divided this guide into three steps.
So, you will start by temporarily booting the TWRP recovery image on the Asus Zenfone 6 (2019) via fastboot. Once booted, you need to format the data partition to be able to access the internal storage in TWRP. Finally, you will install the TWRP installer zip file and Magisk installer to permanently install TWRP and root Asus Zenfone 6 (ZS630KL).
Step 1: Boot TWRP Recovery Image Via Fastboot
- Download TWRP Recovery Image file for Asus Zenfone 6 (ZS630KL).
- Connect phone to PC using a USB cable.
- Transfer image file to folder where ADB Tool and Fastboot is installed (eg C:\adb).
- Hold down the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty area within the same folder.
- Click on the ‘Open PowerShell window here’ option.
- Turn off the device.
- Boot Asus Zenfone 6 into Fastboot mode by holding Volume Up and Power buttons together until the device vibrates.
- Then release the Power button but keep pressing the Volume Up button until you see the ‘Fastboot mode’ screen.
- Type the following command to ensure a successful connection between the PC and device:
If you don’t get the device ID, make sure the Asus USB drivers are installed properly.
- Now you need to boot TWRP recovery image on Asus Zenfone 6. To do so, enter below code:
fastboot boot twrp-image-filename.img
Replace ‘twrp-image-filename‘ with the actual name of the file. For example, in this case, the code would look like the following:
fastboot boot test-twrp-3.3.1-1-I01WD-zenfonde6.img
- As soon as the command is entered, the device will boot into TWRP Recovery.
Step 2: Format Data Partition In TWRP
To access the internal storage in TWRP, as well for a normal boot of the device, you will now need to format the data partition. To do that, follow the simple set of instructions below:
- Tap on the Wipe option under the TWRP main menu.
- Tap on Format data.
- Enter yes in the provided field to format the data partition on Asus ZenFone 6 (ZS630KL.
Step 3: Flash TWRP And Magisk Installer ZIP To Root Asus Zenfone 6 (2019)
- In TWRP, tap on Mount and hit the Enable MTP button.
- Connect Asus Zenfone 6 (2019) to PC via USB cable.
- Transfer both files – TWRP installer as well Magisk installer zip to device internal storage.
- Disconnect the device and return to the main TWRP menu.
- Select the Install option.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the TWRP installer zip (test-twrp-3.3.1-1-I01WD-zenfonde6-installer.zip).
- Once selected, tap on Add more Zip and select the Magisk 19.3 installer file (Magisk-v19.3.zip).
- Finally, swipe the on-screen button to install TWRP and root Asus Zenfone 6 (ZS630KL) permanently using Magisk.
Once the installation is complete, go to Reboot menu and tap on System to boot phone into OS.
You have successfully installed TWRP recovery on Asus Zenfone 6 and rooted via Magisk. Go ahead and install root enabled apps, use MagiskHide to hide root from certain apps.
If you have any questions regarding the guide above. feel free to leave a comment below.